|The window just above the flag is my studio.|
Here are a variety of ways to celebrate Memorial Day, originally Decoration Day.
1. Volunteer at the local soup kitchen (when I was in high school 70% of the homeless population was made up of veterans)
2. Donate used items to a shelter or other organization designed to help get people back on their feet (fight the war against poverty in your own backyard)
3. Spend time with a veteran with a disability today (or an elderly friend/neighbor.) Talk to him or her about how America has changed in their lifetime.
4. Make a gift basket, bake cookies, or cook supper for families with a parent overseas
6. Make artwork dealing with the flag. If you are critiquing American culture or values try to stay positive today. The image in this post is another example of art you can create as well. A poster honoring a soldier is another possibility as well.
8. Journal about how your family came to America. Most of us were immigrants at some point in time.
9. Pray for world peace, freedom and justice for all and be thankful for all that we do have in our country.
|Another Proud (Beautiful) American|
Do you have any family traditions for Memorial Day? If you do add them to my list. If not which idea above sounds the most intriguing?
Wether you have a BBQ, place flowers on a tomb, hold a flag, or hold a protest, I would suggest taking the day off and spending some time outside. I hope you have a wonderful holiday weekend, however you choose to spend it!!!
God Bless America...
...and the rest of the world.