Pages

Felicia Follum Art has moved

New Website and Blog

Hey all!!!! My Blog and Website have moved to feliciafollum.com  Be sure to head on over!!!  

Friday, June 15, 2012

14 Healthy Snacks for the Working Artist

Plenty of artists have painted fruits and vegetables, but do we get enough to eat?  Americans tend to have unhealthy diets, so I thought I would promote some health tips for both the artist and average American.  Here are some tips to help the busy working artist get enough fruits and veggies.

14 Great Snacks for The Healthy Artist on the Go

1. Peppers – peppers (mini sweet peppers are my husband’s favorite) can be cut into bite sized pieces and placed in individual serving size containers. If you like you can add you favorite salad dressing to dip them in. If you can find a pepper that you like without the dressing you will certainly save calories and fat. I like to stuff peppers with beans and corn.

my healthy fruit cake for my graduation
2. Homemade Trail Mix - Take your favorite dried fruits, add peanuts (and other nuts), pretzels and M&Ms or any other mini treat you desire.  Don't forget that even though peanuts have a lot of nutritional value they are high in fat. 

TIP: When you have a snack that you tend to eat too much of or that you know is high in calories or fat, create individual containers or baggies.  I do this with fig newtons and reuse the bags.  I know exactly how much I can have for 100 calories.  I also know that if I took an entire pack, I would eat them all.

3. Fruit - I love how grapefruit, Avocado and Kiwi come in their own serving bowl.  Just cut in half and spoon the yumminess out.  Avocado is also high in fat, so don't over do it. Any fruit will do.

4. Veggies - Pre-cut carrots, radishes, peppers, broccoli, and any other vegetable work well.  Snap peas are quite filling, delicious and only 35 calories for a serving.  I have even done this with jalapenos (though I am not sure about their nutritional value).  I learned to be more careful cleaning them out than I am when I use them for cooking. Zucchini and cucumber are great with hummus. Veggies can be added to many meals such as eggs, pasta, breads, or turned into patties.

5. Wheat Bagel thins.  Bagels but half as thick (and therefore have half the calories).

6. Bagel Sandwich.  I make them with 2 eggs and 2 slices of cheese.  I typically eat half in the morning and save the rest for my afternoon snack or lunch.  This meal has a ton of protein and will keep you full for a long time...Be sure to eat fruits and veggies the rest of the day.

Grapes I illustrated for a wine label a while back
7. Peanut butter and celery (can add raisins).  I take containers of PB and dip sticks of celery.  Don't forget that just like peanuts, peanut butter is high in fat and calories (but oh so good).  The fat in PB is healthy fat that is necessary.

8. Avocado slices wrapped in ham and sprinkled with garlic powder.  Avocados are also high in healthy fat.

9. Chili - Cut up peppers, onion, tomatoes, and add beans.  Carrots, corn and other veggies are optional.  Add seasonings (chili powder, garlic, peppers, etc.)  Throw it all in a crock pot, let it cook while you work and come back later for supper.  I add cooked pasta in about 10 minutes before I want to eat.

10. Zucchini pizzas are another favorite.  Just batter zucchini in bread crumbs, bake for 15 min, add light sauce and cheese.  My husband prefers pepperoni, but I prefer without.

11. Fruit Parfaits are incredibly simple.  Some of my favorite fruits are peaches, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, bananas, black berries and grapes.

12. Smoothies are perfect for warm days and quick breakfasts.  Take the leftover yogurt from the parfaits and freeze in ice cube trays.  You can also use old somewhat over ripe fruit.  Over ripe frozen bananas are the best (they seem to get sweeter after they get too soggy to eat).  I have recently started adding chopped celery and sometimes honey, if I share with my husband.  I then fill the cup about 2/3 the way full with water.

13. Eggs are an excellent source of protein and can be inside of peppers, on pizza, or mixed with spinach, onions, peppers, mushrooms, cheese, and whatever else you desire.  Baked egg in a ham cup look fantastic.

14. Its a WrapHere is an incredibly simple wrap under 200 cals.

Check out (and follow) my Pinterest board for yummy recipes including 30 days of homemade recipes, southwestern egg rolls, veggie burgers, lasagna rolls, and tons more.  Do you have any healthy snacks that you take to your studio with you?

2 comments:

  1. Perfet ideas for healthy snacks. I love diffrent smoothies and yogurts. Thanks for nice reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed. I thought it would be a fun change to talk about.

    ReplyDelete

www.FeliciaFollum.com

My blog and website have moved. Be sure to check out www.Feliciafollum.com